Microdermabrasion is one of the top most commonly performed cosmetic procedures, and has been for some years now. Many people have heard of it and some have tried it for themselves. But do you really know the benefits of Microdermabrasion treatments?
The 10 benefits of Microdermabrasion:
1. Exfoliation: The skins surface is instantly refined revealing healthier, radiant skin which can be visibly seen immediately after a treatment. Microdermabrasion treatments instantly rejuvenate and brighten your complexion by using a minimally abrasive device that gently exfoliates the top layer of skin. The procedure removes impurities and dead skin cells on the surface of the skin to reveal fresh, healthy skin underneath.
2. Stimulates new collagen: Microdermabrasion stimulates the production of new collagen and improves elasticity by exfoliating dead skin cells away which enhances the bodies natural cell turnover. This can diminish over time due to ageing and environmental factors and leave the skin with a ‘dull’ appearance. Removing dead skin will speed up the cell renewal process and help the dermis create a new layer of skin that looks fresher and renewed.
3. Removes congestion: Pores can often become congested and trapped with dirt, debris, oil, and dead skin cells. Microdermabrasion treatments improve natural skin hygiene by cleaning deep into the pores to unclog built up congestion and remove blackheads. Treatments can also be combined with chemical peels to enhance these affects.
4. Reduces pore size: Treatments have shown to visibly reduce pore size by removing blockages and stimulating new collagen to refine open pores. A build up of congestion can often cause the pores to become enlarged. Microdermabrasion treatments keep pores free of dirt with exfoliation, and help to control oil production. A series of treatments is recommended in order to achieve optimal results.
5. Even skin tone and texture: Many people will notice improvements in the tone, texture, and colour of the skin after just one treatment. This treatment provides the ultimate exfoliation, smoothing out skin that is rough or coarsely textured, helping with sun damage and reducing pigmentation. The skin will have a polished look to it, and will essentially glow after treatments.
6. Improves circulation & lymphatic flow: Microdermabrasion increases blood and lympth flow allowing for more oxygen and nutrients to be supplied to skin cells which promotes the internal health of the skin resulting in improved elasticity.
7. Benefit wide range of conditions: Microdermabrasion can been used to effectively treat multiple skin conditions. These include; acne and acne scarring, age spots, dull skin, fine lines, hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone and texture, enlarged or congested pores, blackheads, smooth out rough or course skin and provide overall skin rejuvenation. Results can often be seen in the first treatment, but it can often take a course of 4-6 treatments spaced two to four weeks apart to maximise results such as reducing scarring and pigmentation.
8. Increased product absorption: By removing dead skin cells and promoting circulation, microdermabrasion can increase the absorption of skincare products by up to 50%. Microdermabrasion can be added to your skin care regime and enhance the results of your products. For example, if you are using products for the treatment of acne, these will be more potent and easily absorbed into the skin to give a better result.
9. Quick recovery time: Microdermabrasion is one of the safest cosmetic procedures to have done and still achieve great results without the use of needles or other invasive procedures such as laser. There is usually none-to-minimal downtime, and no medications are required for the procedure. Treatments specifically target the outer layer of the skin meaning they are non-invasive and have only a few basic aftercare protocols making this the perfect facial to freshen your skin before an event.
10. Safe to use on all skin types: This procedure is suitable for all skin types and colours, and will not cause pigmentation changes or scarring. With hardly any possible side effects or complications, microdermabrasion treatments are safe, painless and effective on a variety of skin conditions.
It is important to remember that after any microdermabrasion treatment your skin may be slightly dry and more sensitive to the sun. Adequate sun protection will need to be applied for a few days following a treatment.